Plywood industry in India is one of the most significant trade in India that serves the market by providing plywood for various construction and building purposes. Ply’s all over India are sold in some standard size (having its own appropriate measurements). So the standardization factors for plywood are very significant as the different size of ply’s serves for the distinct purpose of the building. To understand these better let’s find out more about it.
Standardized plywood thickness and size:
The companies that manufacture plywood in India maintain a standard when it comes to thickness and size. Our country adopted the metric system that is used Indian plywood market; the pricing policy used by the market is mostly based on cost per sq. foot.
The widely sold plywood planks that are sold inIndia market are of 8 feet by 4 feet. There are other sizes like 8×3, 7×4, 7×3, 7×4 and 6×3 are also widely manufactured and purchased by the customer.
Here we will try to enlighten our readers regarding the standardized plywood sizes of India market in square feet and in mm.
- 8’ x 4’ ———– (2440 x 1220) mm.
- 8’ x 3’ ———— (2440 x 920) mm.
- 7’ x 4’ ———– (2140 x 1220) mm.
- 7’ x 3’ ———– (2140 x 920) mm.
- 6’ x 4’ ———— (1830 x 1220) mm.
- 6’ x 3’ ————- (1830 x 920) mm.
When a novice customer goes for plywood shopping always check the ISI mark stamped on the sheet which is a mark of genuinity of the particular product.
The thickness of plywood is also similarly standardized like size, though it varies from one grade of plywood to another. Here is another chart for our readers to have a better understanding of this subject of dimensioning.
- MR or Moisture Resistant grade comes in 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 25.
- BWR or Boiling Water Resistant grade comes in 4, 6, 9, 12, 16, 19, and
- Shuttering Plywood comes in 6, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 25.
- Blockboards* comes in 19 and 25.
All the measurements mentioned above are in millimeters.
- In the above chart, we have included Blackboards,but it is often not considered under the category of plywood. It is done so mostly due to the difference in its property in comparison to a typical plywood plank.
- The thickness range for Marine and Fire Resistant grade plywood is same as that of the BWR grade which is already mentioned in the chart.
- The shuttering Plywood mentioned in the chart is mostly meant and used in construction sites and not used for domestic purpose. So, if our readers are looking for plywood to make furniture, MR and BWR grade material will always be the best bet.